Saturday, October 3, 2009

How I Draw, post #1: The Technical Side of Things

This post is devoted to describing the process I go through when drawing Familiar Magic.



Materials:
-Bristol Board (smooth)
-Drawing Pencil, #3 or #4
-Plastic Eraser
-Pigment liners, 0.5 to 0.7, or
-Technical Drawing Pens, 0.35 to 0.7
-Brush Pen
-Scanner
-Computer + Mouse
-Photoshop



Step 1: I lay out panels with a pencil and ruler.


Some days I actually have ideas about what I will later put into each panel. This, however, is rare. I generally have an overall concept for the page--what it does to the story, who appears in it, etc.--and keep that in the back of my mind while I set up a "grid" that I, at least, find visually pleasing. The geometric pattern of the page almost always comes first.


Step 2: I sketch the comic in light pencil.


This is where the plastic eraser comes in. I sketch, erase and sketch again until I'm satisfied the page does what I want it to do. Bodies and faces are the things that take me the longest and involve the most trial-and-error. Plants give me the least trouble. This is in part because I never check to see if the plants I draw actually exist in our world. I just draw the "tree/flower/grass I want to see there" and call it good.


Step 3: I ink the page.


I take my 0.5 pigment liner and ink all the 'normal' to 'medium' lines (in terms of thickness). Lines from pigment liners smaller than 0.5 have a hard time surviving the journey from my scanner to my computer unbroken. I can go a bit smaller with the technical pens. I use wider pens to color in small sections of black and a brush pen for large sections of black that I don't plan to color on the computer. I also occasionally use the brush pen for hair, feathers, emotional SFX and other flowy, wispy things. I do not ink the panel borders.


Step 4: I clean up the page.


All hail the return of the plastic eraser! I erase stray pencil lines to prep the page for scanning.


Step 5: I scan the page into Photoshop.


I usually scan the page in at 600 dpi, though I've used both larger and smaller resolutions.


Step 6: I clean up the page again. I play around with levels, fills and the magic lasso to make the black-and-white page, well, black-and-white (instead of black, many varieties of gray, white and some other colors that snuck in when the page was scanned). This can get really tedious.


Step 7: I color the page.


This is where I really go to town. I mean, the comic is basically a digital coloring book at this point. What's not fun about that? I use brushes of different sizes and textures--and many, many layers of opacity--to get the effects I want. I play around with contrast/brightness and color settings when I feel the need. My wireless, ergonomic mouse is quite a blessing at this stage.


Step 7.5: I reboot Photoshop, cussing out the program the whole time, and make up my lost work so I can finish coloring. This step only happens for the obvious reason. Fortunately, I usually prefer the final version to the "one that got away."


Step 7.75: I compulsively save my work at near-random intervals, compelled by my recent loss of progress.


Step 8: I add speech balloons and speech balloon tails, guided by a general idea of what the characters say.


Step 9: I add speech. This is when I decide what the characters actually say.


Step 10: I add any verbalized thoughts and SFX that were not added during the penciling and inking stages.


Step 11: I resize the page. All standard Familiar Magic pages are 700 pixels wide, though they vary in length.


Step 12: I save the page in .png (though it was .jpg up until a few updates ago) format.


I then post the page, wait for it to upload, check to see how it displays, update my archives, etc., but all that isn't really part of my drawing/pagemaking process (except perhaps in a broader theoretical sense, as webcomics do not truly stop at the borders of their comic pages) so I will not discuss it now.

5 comments:

StoryHat said...

Fantastic step-by-step explication. I now understand a lot more of the process that you go through with each page.

Just read the last three pages. Not sure how I managed to get so far behind. You're revealing a new characters and advancing the plot quite a bit.

StoryHat said...

Oops - a typo crept into that post. The last sentence should have read: "You're revealing several new characters and advancing the plot quite a bit."

Lemur-Cat said...

That is about what I would do if I had nice materials like that. (That is, back when I had PaintShop Pro that was about what I did except with cheap pens, cheap paper, and cheaper software.) But I don't figure my art is worth buying fancy supplies, and thus I never get accustomed to using high-quality stuff. I got a sample size pack of fancy Copic markers but I am afraid to waste them by using them at all.

Lemur-Cat said...

Oh, except if I do comics I pencil in the dialogue early on, although I might edit it slightly when it is inked or typed.

Lemur-Cat said...

My strategy for cleaning up the page after scanning was to make sure I scanned it at a much higher resolution than I wanted for the final image, max out the contrast, and play with the brightness until the lines showed up nicely. (If the pencil is light enough you can even skip erasing it.) The lines will be all jagged at high resolution but when everything is finished you can shrink the image a bit and it will look fine. Depending on the consistency of the lines there could still be some areas that need personal attention, and if you want the lines on a transparent layer you still have to select all the enclosed spaces (unless you have a "Select transparent color" thing, which I think PhotoShop does but PaintShop didn't).